Sunday, March 9, 2008

Dominican Republic Santiago Mission

So this past week I hit the 9 year mark of finishing my mission in the DR. It's hard to believe that so much time has gone by but in some ways it feels like that experience happened in another lifetime. Anyway, what with the anniversary and all, I have been a bit nostalgic about the time I spent serving in the DR and wanted to share some brief thoughts as well as some pictures.

I was really excited when I got my mission call for a few reasons: 1) I wasn't going anywhere in Asia (which had been a big worry of mine); 2) I was excited to get to learn Spanish...and perhaps most importantly; 3) When I opened my call I just knew it was where I was supposed to go (even though I had never even heard of the country.)

I actually had a very hard time adjusting to living in the DR. I was blessed to pick up the language pretty quickly but couldn't help feeling as if I were trapped in a Spanish soap opera. My first 10 months on the island were spent with native companions and when all was said and done I only ended up with 2 American companions. It was often hard for me then but I am so grateful when I look back on it now.

I'm not sure exactly when I made it through my acculturation process, but by the end of my mission I considered myself more Dominican than American. I dreaded the thought of having to leave behind a people, a culture and a country I had come to love. I would often say (and sometimes still do), "Soy gringa de aprariencia pero dominicana de corazon," which loosely translated is "I may look like gringa but I'm a Dominican at heart."

As I reflect on my life, many of the biggest blessings I enjoy now are directly related to having served a mission in that place at that time. Many qualities I gained, friends I have and even my current job would not have been possible if it weren't for my time spent in the DR. Serving a mission is easily one of the best decisions I have ever made. I have been fortunate enough to go back and visit the DR 4 times over the years and someday hope to maybe even have a vacation home or condo there. I will be eternally grateful for the 16 months I spent there as a missionary and invite you to join me on a trip down memory lane:


2 comments:

Lanna said...

Talk about a walk down memory lane!! Names came back to me that I'd forgotten as I watched your slide show. Hard to believe I left on my mission 11 years ago next month! There's still not a day that goes by that I don't somehow remember the DR and my hermanos there.

Cory or Cari said...

Wow! That was such a special treat for me to see. I was so blessed to have been your last companion and learned so much about being a great missionary from you. I remember those picutes so vividly and can hardly believe so much time has past. I too will forever be greatful for having served in the DR. I would love to visit your vacation home one day.