Friday, February 1, 2008

Our prophet dear...

PRESIDENT GORDON B. HINCKLEY
1910-2008
.
Today I waited for three and a half hours for the opportunity to pay my last respects to our beloved prophet. I waited outside for nearly an hour as we were then ushered into the Conference Center to sit and await our turn. While waiting, we were able to watch the 95th birthday celebration for President Hinckley and again reflect on his work, his example, his humor, his love for his wife, the profound effect he had on members and non-members alike and his unwavering devotion to the Savior.
.
Section by section we were brought across the second level of the Conference Center to then go up to the third floor to the Hall of the Prophets where the viewing was held. As we got closer to the area where President Hinckley lay, the Spirit intensified. It was an honor and a privilege to be able to file past his casket and to see the vessel that housed such an immense giant of a man. I can honestly say that, even in death, he is the most beautiful, kind, gentle soul I have laid eyes upon. It couldn't have been much more than 15 seconds that I was able to see him as we filed through that room but I would have waited double the time for even a glimpse of the man that has been my personal prophet, seer, revelator and leader for almost half my life.
.
The organization and management of such large numbers of people was just amazing to me. I was deeply impressed by the many, many volunteers who were helping to keep things moving. The lady in front of me kept commenting to these volunteers on what a long day they must have experienced. I was touched by one man's response who said, "It does not matter if this ends at 7 p.m. or 2 a.m. We are happy to be here. President Hinckley is worth it."
.
I was overwhelmed by the sheer number of people who were gathered with me to participate in the viewing. In a way, I felt a sense of responsibility to attend, not only for myself, but for my family and friends who would have wished to have gone but live too far away. As I have reflected on President Hinckley's life and mission, there is not much I can say to add to what I have heard said by many others. His influence, love, kindness, genuineness, humor, leadership, dedication and example reached across the world and touched the lives of countless numbers of God's children.
.
We rejoice in the plan of salvation and the understanding that we have regarding what happens after death. And although we will miss President Hinckley greatly, we rejoice in knowing he has been reunited with his beloved companion Marjorie. We rejoice in knowing he has been welcomed home by Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. We rejoice in knowing that he will receive a just recompense for his service in building up the Kingdom and in loving and leading us, his brothers and sisters.
.
God be with you 'til we meet again our dear and beloved prophet. The world is tangibly dimmer without your light, your laugh, your love and your leadership. With grateful hearts we celebrate your life and vow to do our best to follow your counsel to "stand a little taller, rise a little higher, be a little better..."

No comments: