Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year's Resolutions


First off, I want to wish each and every one of you a prosperous and joyful 2008. It is hard to believe that another year has come and gone. As with each year, I have experienced many ups and downs but hopefully the end result is that I come out a more refined person.

At the beginnig of each new year, millions upon millions of people make resolutions about things they want to change or do differently in the upcoming year. According to Franklin Covey the top 10 most common New Year's resolutions are as follows:
  1. Get out of debt or save money.
  2. Lose weight.
  3. Develop a healthy habit (e.g., exercise or healthy eating).
  4. Get organized.
  5. Develop a new skill or talent.
  6. Spend more time with family and friends.
  7. Other.
  8. Work less, play more.
  9. Break an unhealthy habit (e.g., smoking, overeating).
  10. Change employment.

Personally, I ususally end up with many of the same resolutions year after year because I am not very successful at achieving them. I will refrain from putting my personal list here because, seriously, do I really want y'all to know what a mess my life is? Hehehehe!! Suffice it to say, I think I could count all of the above-mentioned most common resolutions among things I would like to undertake. With an adjustment to number 10. I don't really want to change my employment but I would like to change my attitude about my employment. Many of the other goals I have for this year will fall under the umbrella of number 7--other. This will be my broad category for spiritual goals and character development goals.

If you are setting resolutions this year, best of luck in your endeavors. I'm hoping to have a little luck with my own. As a parting question, why is it that "it's the thought that counts" when it comes to gift giving, yet in terms of goals "the road to hell is paved with good intentions"? Just a little food for thought...

No comments: