Thursday, June 28, 2007

I'm going to India!

Anyone that knows me knows that I LOVE to travel. Some people spend their money on big houses or fancy cars or boats or expensive clothes or ________ (fill in the blank.) I, however, choose to spend my money on travel. I love to see new places and new faces and learn about cultures and customs and history of the world.

I have actually wanted to go to India for some time now. And basically ever since I heard that Candice was going to India for two months I have had a somewhat unquenchable desire to join her for at least part of that time to fulfill that dream.

The big news is that today Heidi and I confirmed our tickets to go spend nearly two weeks in the world's 2nd most populous country. This is even more exciting because it has been somewhat of a drama to get the tickets squared away. Let's just say I found out the meaning of the saying "you can't get something for nothing" or, in our case something for next to nothing. This could be a whole blog in and of itself if I ever decide to go there one day. In the meantime, suffice it to say that if it looks like a shady deal in the Rite Aid parking lot and you are hopped up on cold medication, it probably is a shady deal in the Rite Aid parking lot.

So after paying the largest sum of money for an airline ticket I have ever paid, I am now in the process of getting an expedited visa to India (even more money), updating my vaccinations from the mission (yes, I'm that old...and even more money) and trying to figure out what we want to fit into our 10 days in country.

I may not be an expert traveler, but I am not a novice either. Regardless, I have heard time and time again that India is unlike any other place and that you will be shocked and thrilled all at the same time. I have a hard time grasping that concept (even with all of the adventures Candice is sharing) but I look forward to experiencing it all firsthand and very soon! I am not, however, looking forward to the long flights that will carry me over 9,000 miles to get there. But on the bright side, one of our connections is in London and that will be my first stop on European soil, even if it is just the airport!

Anyway, just thought I'd share my exciting news with everyone. I'm sure I'll have some good stories to tell when I get back so stay tuned...


4 comments:

Tara said...

Congrats!!
I'm jealous...really...There are real feelings of jealousy consuming me at this very moment! BUT...I'm happy for you, that you get to fulfill a dream! That's awesome! When is this adventure taking place? Take lots of pictures and beware of too much curry!! ;)

Alyssa said...

We leave on July 22nd and come back on August 3rd. So really the only bad thing is that we will have to miss the ward campout. That really bums me out but this is a once in a lifetime experience so I hope you'll forgive me!

Darby said...

What? You're missing the ward campout? JK. I'm not going to lie, I would probably take that chance to go to India instead of Idaho as well (sorry TarBear). At least they both start with I, so we'll count it! Hope you and Heidi have a great time! Take lots of pictures.

Lanna said...

Can't wait to hear about your adventures and see the pictures! I wish my travel were a little more exciting this year than Utah (no offense) and San Diego. Oh well--maybe next year when I can ditch kids with the grandparents. Have a great time!