Monday, June 18, 2007

2--not necessarily better than 1 or 3

The title of this blog likely seems a bit strange so let me explain this numbers game:

2 not better than 1
Doing 2 jobs is definitely not better than 1. See my blog from a couple of days ago about changes at work. Today I began the task of doing my job along with someone else's. I know that most of us have experienced that at one time or another as we have covered a coworker on vacation or for sickness, etc. But usually in that type of situation one has a definite light at the end of the tunnel--this being the date that said missing coworker will once again return to the ranks.

In this situation I don't have a light at the end of the tunnel. At least not a specific date to know when the added stress will shift away because my missing coworker will not be coming back and we have to hire a replacement. We have had a lot of turnover in our department but it has been a long time since I was the only Spanish-speaking coordinator around. This will be a tough position to fill because finding a bilingual social worker that wants a not very clinical job at non-profit pay is hard to do. At this point my boss hasn't even posted the job yet and is now on her way out of town. I am working on taking things into my own hands as much as possible to get this job posted and filled as it is definitely in my best interest to hire someone soon! Today 90% of my working time has been dedicated to the other job and not my own. I think I need to clone myself...or find that dream social worker soon...or move away on sabbatical. Wish me luck.

2 not better than 3
I am hoping to have more time tomorrow to blog on my canoe experience from this past weekend. Suffice it to say that when one takes a stretch of river that should be done over at least 3 days or maybe more and tries to condense that into 2 days it doesn't always work out as planned. I am still extremely exhausted and sore (I'm no longer the spring chicken of glory days gone by.) More stories and pictures to come...

No comments: