Saturday, December 29, 2007

In loving memory...

JOANN WISE WILLIAMS
1938-2007

It is with a very heavy heart that I now write about the passing of one of the greatest women I have known. Just a few hours ago my dear Aunt JoAnn left this mortal existence to find the peace and rest that she so deserves. She was in the midst of battling cancer for the third time and had recently started chemotherapy again. This last dose proved to be too much for her as it left her very weak and with very few white blood cells. She was rushed to the ER earlier with breathing problems and eventually her heart stopped and the blood pressure was so low that they could not bring her back.

There is a gaping hole in the hearts of our family members and "Josie" as I lovingly called her will be so greatly missed. Everyone who met her could not help but love her for her genuine character and fun personality. I have so many fond memories of her and both my sister and I were blessed to have a close and special relationship with her.

I am very grateful that I was able to see her twice while I was home for the holidays. On Chrismtas Eve day my mother and I picked her up to help her finish up some last minute gift purchases. I only briefly saw her on Christmas Day as she was not feeling well enough to join us for dinner. Instead, we dropped off some food at her house. Oh how I wish now that we would have stayed and spent some more time with her. But I think there are always things....the "could have", "should have","would have" things that we would change if we had only known how soon those opportunities would be gone.

However on both occasions I was able to tell her I loved her as we parted ways. I hope there was no doubt in her mind how much I love her and esteem her. I certainly never doubted her love and concern for me. I don't know if she heard me in the hospital tonight but I expressed my love to her one more time...and later my anger for leaving us when we still weren't ready to let her go. :)

Grief and loss are unavoidable aspects of this life. But there is no grief and loss if we have not shared and loved. My own grief is bearable but it is so hard to watch my sweet sister and my cousins (my aunt's sons) grieve. My heart also goes out to my other aunt Sue who was in Hawaii with her family as this all unfolded. She will be on a plane in a few hours. But the most unbearable thing is to watch my dear mother grieve. She said to me tonight (paraphrasing), "I don't know what I'm going to do. I've never had a day of my life without my older sister." My mom retired just one week ago and was very much looking forward to spending more time with my Aunt JoAnn.

The next few days and weeks will be hard for our family. But along with all of the grief and loss and sadness also comes peace and comfort. Josie suffered many things throughout her life but she was a classy wonderful woman who loved a good laugh and I will miss her so very very much. I am happy to know that she is no longer held back by her physical problems and that she has been reunited with her parents and loved ones.

There will never be another Josie...I am glad she is mine. I will hold her close to my heart and will look forward to being reunited with her at some future date as well. I am grateful for the Savior and his Atonement that provides us all the opportunity to be restored in the Resurrection and reunited with those we love.

Here's lookin' at you Josie. You're one tough old bird and ain't nobody gonna fill your shoes. Keep on dancing and keep on smiling. We love you and already miss you more than we can stand...

No comments: