Monday, May 12, 2008

The last few weeks

I recognize I have been absent from posting for a while. In an attempt to excuse myself, and also catch you up on the happenings in my life, I've decided to give a brief synopsis of the recent events that have kept me so busy.

Wed 4/23: Time to head down to El Paso for the Juarez clinic. I dragged my coworker (and friend) Kristen with me so we could attend a Juanes concert. For all of you who don't know Juanes let me just say that he is a super hot Columbian rocker. We had a great time at the concert although I can guarantee you that I was the only full white person there (Kristen is 1/2 Guatemalan.) Doesn't matter though, this "gringa" rocked it out with the best of them.
Thu 4/24: We held our wheelchair clinic in the truck bay of the fire station. It was a miracle as all 11 scheduled patients showed up. We kept busy with them and were able to see 3 additional patients before heading back across the border. I also did a TV interview with local media. Did the usual pre-clinic preps in El Paso and Kristen and I braved the super cold pool at the hotel...quickly opting for the lukewarm hot tub instead!
Fri 4/25: Juarez clinic in full force. This is the biggest clinic we've had in the 5+ years I have been working there. It ran surprisingly well though. We accepted 35 new patients (a record #) and saw 177 patients on the Shriners side (also a record!) In addition to that, we probably screened another 75-100 potential patients that were not accepted. This is the hardest part of the clinic. For the first time at clinic I was really sick! And trust me, the fire station in Juarez is not where you want to be sick. I actually had to go lay down in the van for a while but finally perked up by early afternoon. Just in time to do a live radio interview via telephone! Yes, I am a celebrity of sorts in good ol' Mexico. :)
Sat 4/26: After getting back late the previous night I then had to get up and head over to the SL temple to attend the sealing of Patti, a Chilean friend of mine from the BYU days. It had been a while since I had seen her but she looked very beautiful. Unfortunately, after this I had to head up and put in a few hours of post-clinic work at the hospital.
Mon 4/28: Analee and Jose had a housewarming/ birthday/graduation party at their new place up by the Capitol. It was good times and I really love how they decorated their place. I'm pretty sure Jose is studying the wrong thing...he should be an interior decorator!
Thu 5/1: Is it really May 1st if it is snowing and your first golf game of the season gets cancelled? I am so sick of the crazy Utah weather. On a brighter note, we were able to attend graduation at the U for Analee (and Jessie). Welcome to the world of underpaid social workers my friends! We capped off the night with dessert at the Freaky Dee's on 21st and 7th. Always a good time!
Fri 5/2: I got together with my friends Maree and April for a late celebration of April's birthday. I think she likes to make holidays stretch out for as long as possible! Anyway, we headed out to the driving range to hit a bucket of balls. I think there was more talking than hitting but we had a good time. Afterwards we went to dinner at Mama's Southern Plantation (on W Temple near the Franklin Covey Ballpark). The food was good, but again we were the only white people there. Oh well, we wanted to try something new. I wish I had pictures but they are on Maree's camera. We then hit Sawadee Thai restaurant on S Temple for sticky rice and mango and fried banana desserts. It doesn't get much better than that!
Sat 5/3: Ok, now I really had the first golf game of the season. Candice, Heidi and I headed up to the course at the U and it was a perfect day for golf. Not too hot, not too cold and not too busy. Man am I out of practice! I need to get out there more often. We had fun though. After that I had some errands to run, including a visit to the REI annual sale but lo and behold REI closes at 7 p.m. on Saturday. Who ever heard of such a stupid closing time on what is likely their busiest day?! Lame!!
Sun 5/4: Elder Richard G. Scott of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles randomly decides to come to our ward. He spends Sacrament Meeting with us and shares his testimony at the end. Awesome spirit!! I was able to shake his hand. Another monumental occasion--I taught my last Sunday School lesson (and was very grateful that Elder Scott didn't stick around for that!) I have learned a lot in this calling over the last 18 months but I am grateful for a break and a new opportunity to serve elsewhere in the future.
Mon 5/5: Feliz 5 de Mayo!! We celebrated with a yummy potluck at Jose and Analee's place, complete with a showing of "Three Amigos"--what a classic!
Tue 5/6: Fed up with gas prices and hoping to force myself into some exercise, I took the bus to work. It's actually a snap except for the fact that I have to be at the bus stop by 7:15 (some days I'm not even awake by then) and it takes 3 times as long as just driving. But I actually enjoyed it. I had a change of clothes and walked home after work. 3 miles seems like 30 when you are walking instead of driving. :)
5/7 Wed: I'm a public transit user again, along with the guy at my stop who has a full-on conversation with himself every morning. Walking home doesn't seem quite as bad this time and I actually enjoy walking through the Avenues looking at all of the cool old houses. I make it home in the exact same amount of time so I guess I now know what my exact slow pace is! Maybe it will get faster if I keep doing it.
Thu 5/8: The HOA has arranged for everyone to have their radiant heating/cooling, thermostats and washer water connections checked. The guys come to my place this morning and spend 3 hours working on my stuff. I am not crazy...I truly have had NO control over the temperature in my unit since I moved in. I now have a new thermostat that works for heating AND cooling (what a novel idea). My radiant tubing stuff is halfway fixed but my "manifold" (say what?) is completely shot and the part used is so old it is not even manufactured any more. The guys will now have to custom make it in their shop and come back to finish the job. I didn't have the heart to tell them that the washer connections, which they didn't have time to even look at, leak like crazy! Guess we should plan on at least another 3 hour visit the next time. Maybe I should make cookies?
I went into work for a few hours and then it was time to head to the airport for another work trip. This time to Phoenix, and as usual, I ditched the rest of the group to go back to the hotel. I swam in the nice pool and had it all to myself. The hot tub was excellent. Relaxed in my room to watch Grey's and LOST. Aaaaahhhh!
Fri 5/9: Phoenix clinic is always a good time. Half of my kid from Mexico don't show up and I'm not sure why. I need to talk to the social worker down there when I get back. The awesome P & O people order in pizza for lunch. This is a most welcome relief from the box lunches the Shriners usually provide us...complete with a sandwich that tastes like it's been wrapped up in a mildewy dishrag. There was a nice, new, pretty cute resident with us. I keep my hopes up until clinic is over and I hear him call his wife to say that he will be home on time. WHY DON'T MARRIED MEN WEAR WEDDING RINGS?! One of my pet peeves...oh well.
I fly from Phoenix to Burbank and spend 1/2 an hour freezing on the curb waiting to be picked up. My mom's Chilean nurse lady doesn't see well at night and got on the wrong freeway to come to the airport. Somehow my sister helps her figure out where to go. We have a white-knuckled drive home and I make my mom promise that she will never send Tina alone again!
Sat 5/10--present: Nice to be home with the fam in Cali. We have had a mostly relaxing weekend with a few errands here and there. I was glad to be able to spend Mother's Day with my mom and tell her how much I love her. I am also very glad to have a comp day (from clinic) and stay an extra day today.
So that's the wrap-up on what I've been doing. Maybe now you'll forgive me for not posting sooner. I wish I had more pictures to share but some places I didn't have my camera and other places the pics ended up on someone else's camera. Here are a few from El Paso though:

My coworker Kristen looking oh-so-lovely on the plane!

My hotty Juanes--you can listen to one of his songs on my playlist.


Our "wheelchair shop" in the fire station truck bay.

One of my favorite Juarez families (check out the lady in the background trying to be in the picture!)

4 comments:

KH said...

Please remove the picture of the beached whale.

Chanda said...

You have a fascinating life Alyssa. Ok, mainly a fascinating brain. Thanks for sharing. :)

Alyssa said...

Um, Chanda, I'm not exactly sure what that comment about my brain is supposed to mean. But I'll look at the glass half full and call it a compliment. Thanks! ;)

Shannon said...

Alyssa!!
Wow you are a busy girl - and just as funny as ever! I loved seeing what you are up to and hope we will have a get-together this summer to catch up!