Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Free at last!


I would like this image a bit better if the date circled on the calendar was 15 instead of 13...it would be more accurate that way. Oh well. The important thing is that it is with great excitement that I announce to you all that TODAY, yes, TODAY I paid off my credit card balance and thereby became debt free!

Debt is a big problem in our society and seems to sink its ugly teeth into all sorts of people. I inherited some great traits from my dad, but along with those I inherited some less-than-effective money management skills, an impulsive buying streak, and an almost-impossible-to-deny urge to snap up anything that appears to be a good bargain. I begrudgingly admit that on more than one occasion my father referred to himself as "The Daddy of Discount." Did I mention that I also inherited a small bit of his goofy sense of humor? :)

Anyway, I haven't always been the best at managing my money. I had some credit card debt before my mission that I was able to wipe out and hoped I would never get in that situation again. Well, after coming home one thing led to another and I was in debt yet again. Having had the oppressing cloud of debt lifted from my life once before, I knew that I would feel much better being able to escape that weight again once and for all.

So for the past handful of years, one of my annual resolutions has been to become debt free. And while I occasionally made good progress and whittled my debts down one by one, I was always left with my principal credit card debt. To help me in my endeavors, I created yearly slogans or catch phrases as a reminder and motivation. Let me share them with you:

"Debt free in 2003"
"Debt no more in 2004"
"Debt won't jive in 2005"
"Get out of my fix in 2006"
and finally.....
"Debt free heaven in 2007"

And so this morning, at approximately 9:30 a.m., I did indeed enter the pearly gates of debt free heaven as I paid off the remaining balance on my credit card. It has not been an easy process to dig my way out...as those of you who have been or are in debt may know from experience. There were many setbacks along the way, but I am grateful that I have been able to make more sound financial decisions regarding budgeting, savings, retirement investment and becoming debt free (insert a shout-out to my "Financial Life Jacket" lessons from Kimmie.) So from now on I hope that my new and everlasting slogan will be:

p.s. I promise to return you to your regularly scheduled programming of the captivating series "Adventures in India" in my next blog so stay tuned...

3 comments:

Hilary said...

For me, I'm thinking...
Debe free would be great in 2008 and really devine in 2009
but probably something like
out of the lions den in 2010!
You catch my drift!?!

Lanna said...

I know exactly what you mean. I paid off my student loan last year (yeah, graduated in 1996) and my car earlier this year. All that's left is the mortgage, and I think I can live with that. My philosophy is that if I can't pay cash, I can't afford it. So far, it's worked for me. :)

Darby said...

Debt free is a great thing. I was fortunate to do my entire undergrad (housing, tuition and all) debt free. I've never been in debt and don't really feel like going into it at all. Great work! I'm so proud!