Tuesday, June 24, 2008

River Rat part 1

Well, it's been a while since I've posted on here...not because I've lacked things to share, but rather I've lacked the time to share them. This has been a busy month and next month is even worse. So before I head out on my next adventure I thought I'd better at least try to post on one of my more recent adventures.

As has become the tradition every June, the Labyrinth Canyon Ladies Club hit the high waters of the Green River from June 12th-14th. We decided to add an extra day to our trip this year so we could actually take some time to enjoy the trip a bit more. It was a luxury to set up camp during daylight and not have to hurriedly cook our meal and jump in bed. Not to mention actually getting to hike and explore other parts of the canyon. Perhaps the best thing was that we didn't have to kill ourselves paddling full-speed at any point. I guess we should give some credit to the high water from the spring run-off as well.

Anyway, we had the small 4 person crew of Kim, Analee, Heidi and myself again this year. We had a blast and really the only big disappointment is that we didn't get to swim as much as we would have liked. The water was FREEZING!! Thanks again to the snow melt. Other than that the biggest tragedy was me getting stuck along the banks of the river in the thick quicksand mud. I honestly almost had to sacrifice my Chaco to the river the first night because I was up to my knees and had to submerge both my arms to first get my foot loose and second pull my Chaco out. DISGUSTING!

I love doing this trip every year. There is something amazing about the simplicity of floating along the river with the canyon walls towering above us. It is also wonderful to spend time with good friends and celebrate the forging of our relationship on this same trip back in 2005. I'm grateful that Kim and Analee, both newly married, were willing to leave the husbands to fend for themselves for a few days while we enjoyed our bonding time with nature.

The day after tomorrow I am off to the Green again...this time to the northern portion (Lodore Canyon) for a whitewater amputee camp with my work. I'm sure I'll have stories to share afterwards. In the meantime, please enjoy these pictures from our canoe trip:

2 comments:

The Adams Family said...

I love this trip!

Kim

Unknown said...

Alyssa dear,

This sounds like a great trip! The pictures are aweome! Is your next blog going to be River Rat part 2? Hope your trip with the Shriner's teenage amputees was beyond awesome!

Besos y abrazos