Sunday, November 4, 2007

Long live the 80's!!



So for Halloween this year, some of my coworkers invited me to join them in reliving the 1987 prom of Sweet Valley High School. I told them that it would be a cold day in you-know-where before I donned a puffy-sleeved prom dress but that I would try to come up with something that would fit in with the theme. Little did I know that my costume would turn out to be such a big hit with everyone.

Which brings up the question...is it a problem if people seem to like you better the way you look in your costume than your normal day-to-day look? Is it time for a complete style overhaul? Or does it mean people just like to see a different side of you? Or in this case that you brought back a vintage piece of a beloved decade? I guess it partially depends on who is giving the opinion. But I guess I'll let you guys be the judge as well. Here I am in all my glory as an 80's punk rocker:


I have to admit, I really dug the whole punk thing myself. I felt like I had full license to pull an
attitude and give someone that "Are you asking me to kick your butt?" look whenever I wanted. Maybe it felt fun to look the part of the bad girl without living the lifestyle. I guess the whole idea of Halloween is getting to be someone else for a day. Stepping outside of your normal life and getting creative. Maybe I missed my calling in life. I think I would have made a totally awesome punk chic!

One of the benefits of working at a children's hospital is getting to celebrate the holidays,
especially Halloween, in a big way. We have an annual kids' costume parade followed by the employee costume contest. I am proud to announce that my friends from Sweet Valley High and I took 1st place in the group category. We must have looked quite hot strutting our stuff to vintage Cyndi Lauper--"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun." Here are 3 of my friends as prom queens as well as myself and another punk friend (our lone male representative was the emcee for the contest and therefore not in the picture but looked great in his checkered suit coat, thin tie, converse and mullet wig complete with braid!)

Halloween is always a good time. I sometimes dread coming up with a costume, but more
often than not when all is said and done it's worth the effort. I'm glad that Halloween is for "grown up kids" too... We all need the freedom to cut loose and get a little goofy now and then. Guess I'd better get thinking about next year's costume. In the meanwhile, I am sad to retire the punk costume which turned out to be much funner than I ever imagined. Of course, I can't promise that the fabulous wig won't show up somewhere before next Halloween!

6 comments:

Natalie Black said...

Oh my gosh, you are such a freakin' rockstar. Go girl, go girl (I'm doing the cabbage patch while chanting...).

Hilary said...

Um...could you please go back and edit your blog so that first picture is bigger? I'm diggin' it! And also, please, if the 80's are going to come back, let it be the punk style!

Alyssa said...

Hilary, you make it sound like I actually know how to edit my blog and do more than the boring layout I always do. Maybe I need a crash course from you again!

Lanna said...

I love it! What a hoot! This year, I was a stressed mom for Halloween. Oh wait, that's what I am ever day. This year's stress came from trying to convince Maeryn not to eat the glitter on her costume. Ha. Better luck next year ... and I do hope to see your wig again. That's totally rad, dude!

Cory or Cari said...

So I too love the costume, particularly the makeup. I would never have recognized you if I ran into you on the street. It's amazing how our outer shell can so profoundly affect our inner self.

Darby said...

I love love love that picture! Well done on the costume!!